A to Z Challenge- P

P is for Pineapple, Papaya, Passionfruit plus Potatoes.

There are a wealth of P vegetables and fruits out there!


Pineapple, Papaya and Passionfruit Custard Pie.

Cover the bottom of a well-greased & floured 10" tart pan with alternating thin slices of papaya and pineapple. In a blender, combine 3 eggs, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2tbsp whole wheat flour. When well blended, scoop out the fruit of two passion fruits and mix this in by hand.
Pour the mixture over the pineapple and papaya. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes or until set. Go nuts, sprinkle it with pomegranate seeds. Serve cold.


Potatoes.
Ok, I admit it, I don't really like potatoes au gratin, possibly the most obvious dish for this post. I like baked potatoes. I like mashed potatoes (especially with garlic & truffle oil). I like roasted potatoes and I adore homemade french fries.

I've just never really gotten the hang of au gratin potatoes. In my au gratin, the potatoes often come out sorta rubbery or not cooked enough and the sauce is never really flavorful enough.

Two ideas that have me re-thinking this problem:

The Smitten Kitchen has this simpler and possibly more tasty version. This recipe is really pared down, I can see where the flavors would be clean and nice here. Everything she does is more tasty than everything I do...

There's Ina Garten's Potato Fennel Gratin which sounds impossibly rich. Since its Ina, you know its delicious and appropriate for the fanciest party you ever threw.



No comments:

Post a Comment

No advertising for your weird cookbook please...or sex enhancement drugs...just no advertising at all...